Skip to content
If in Prejmer I told you how great and nice the staff treated me, here you will hear a different side of the story. I was a bit sad when I experience this, but it wasn’t my first time meeting a bad character in a good position of the country. It all began when I arrived near to the old church of the town. But all the doors were closed, so after I searched for an open door, I started asking people.
At that hour many of the people were at the bar. In a small place as this town you do not have many things to do, so you chat with friends and drink at the only bar from the village. I opened the door and an old guy from my right looked at me like a stranger who came with a gun pointed at him. I walked to the bartender and asked him if he knew how can I enter in the church.
– Hello, good morning fellow one! Do you have any idea how can I enter in the church?
– It’s closed!
– Yes. I have checked it two times and I didn’t find any open door.
– In this case you walked on the other side of the road. Have you seen that big building in the center, my friend?
– Go there. That’s the deanery. There you will certaintly find the priest. I don’t know if you know, but this is a catholic church. Not an orthodox one.
– I know man. It’s not my first time visiting this type of churches. It’s not a problem for me, but by contrary.
– Okay. Take care than.
It was kind of odd, the guy looked at me after that as if I was a spiritual traitor. I didn’t understand why, but I walked as if nothing happened. When I entered in the deanery I have found myself in a long hall without any lightening. In my mind, in a small place of the brain, the horror movie has just started. I made myself many dark scenarios. I knew it wasn’t a good idea, but I couldn’t control my thoughts anymore.
Anyway, I finally found a door in that dark and I knocked at it. I saw a name on the door and I assumed it’s the name of the priest.
– Sorry. I have question. May I visit the church? I tried to enter in the garden but I didn’t find any opened door.
– Ooo, wait a minute please. I’ll send a person who will open that door and who will guide you trough the church.
– Thank you sir.
– Yeah, yeah. His voice didn’t please anybody. He had a rude behavior. He treated me as if I didn’t exist. He even didn’t look me in the eyes when he talked to me. But, on the other side, the women who helped me see the church was very kind with me. Even though she didn’t speak romanian very well she tried her best.
She was saxon, the minority who had build all the fortified churches from Burzenland.
– So, my boy, where did you came from?
– From Bucharest ma’am.
– And you came alone from Bucharest just to see the church! She was surprised.
– Yeah ma’am. I heard they are gorgeous and unique.
– This is true. But just by yourself, it surprised me. Don’t get me wrong, but not so many people do what you are doing now.
After this small talk, the lady took me in a room full of paintings. Most of the paintings talked about the communist era, when the town had a big flower greenhouse. It was the biggest greenhouse from around the area.
I didn’t know that. It was a surprinsing story for me. I came for a medieval story and I was surprised by the good memories from the 60’s.
– Ma’am do the people in town think of regret when they think of communism?
– Kind of. The good part was that everybody had a job. Right now the young people go to work in Brașov or abroad. It’s a sad story for our community.
– That’s just for germans or for everybody?
– No, my child! Everyone suffers . Romanians, Germans, Hungarians, none of us escape.
– Ma’am this problem exists in the hole country, you are conscious, right?
– I know, child. That’s why it is a tragic situation.
After this revelations spoken by the lady, she took me in the garden and in the end into the church.
When I stepped from the garden in to the church a cold air blast caught me and passed through my hole body. It was as if an entity possessed me for a second. From the first moment of being in the church a medieval flashback strike me.
It was so strange that I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I didn’t play in my life a cosplay or a medieval game. But my mind created a perfect medieval univers with priests, peasants, knights, kings and queens.
– Isn’t it beautiful? The guide asked me. In that moment I didn’t know what kind of feelings I had. But to be polite I said yes. I didn’t lie. But I didn’t say the hole truth. I was a bit delighted. The walls told me stories from an unknown universe for me. I was skeptical. It was the second time for me in a fortified church , but right now I was more scared than any time.
Probably because right now the guide has let me visit the church all by myself. She stood outside and waited for me to finish the tour. At the beginning I was very happy because she give me some intimacy. But after five minutes of visiting the inside of the church I thought someone is behind me at every step. It was like a horror movie.
From the side door of the church the lady told to me I can visit even the tower if I want. I was so scared. Before she told me that I saw the wooden stairs and I didn’t like how they creaked.
Passing on, all the emotions the experience in Codlea teaches me a beautiful lesson. Transylvania will never disappoint me. All traditions, history, people and landscapes are heavenly.If you liked the story don’t hesitate to share with you’re friends or family. Support the project, if you think that it deserves. And I invite you to read the next story from Ghimbav or to see the pictures from Transylvania. Take care, my friends!