Skip to content
The third experience of mine in Burzenland brings me again in Brașov, at my favorite family. After a month I came back at my friend, Dan. He was so happy to see me again. But much happier ware his parents. I felt so blessed to be appreciated by some nice and beautiful guys.
I arrived in Brașov kind of late. It was before midday and on that day Dan was free from work. So we have chosen to stay in the city and the next day I will be going to Ghimbav. In Brașov we stood in a bar and we told stories. After our little chit-chat we visited again the little fortress of Brașov and watched it from up the Tâmpa peak. It was amazing as always. In front of our eyes it was the old city and in the back it was the mountain. Even if you’re not a nature lover here you will realize how gorgeous the Earth is.
After this beautiful day Dan and I went back at his parents place to eat and rest. At home we found just his mother. Dan’s father was at work, for the night shift. Again, it was a true pleasure for me to talk with madam Silvia.This lady teached me in two days more than anybody in three years in Bucharest. She is a great woman with a great life experience. After many stories and advises I went to bed, not the other, but on next day I had to catch a bus at the first hour of the morning. And I’m not used to waking up early.
When I arrived in Ghimbav I had a deja-vu. The fortified church was near. The streets were empty. At that hour all the people who were not sleeping were in bar drinking coffe or liquer. I took the classic route around the wall, seeking an open door. But that is for another day. I found nothing. The frustration was so big. As if nobody was there. So I started asking people on the bar if anybody had an idea how can I see the church. Who guards the church. Nobody knows. Nice! I went outside, I sat on a bench thinking. And from nowhere an old man came at me and told me that he can save me.
– Hey boy! Morning. I heard you want to visit the church.
– Yes! You know how can I visit the church? I was asking surprinsed and happy that I found him but more ,or less, he found me.
– Yes. Right now I am heading towards the guardian of the church. If you want we can go together. It’s quite near, here and there you can talk with him
– Ooo, sir you saved my day. I was very sad, because I didn’t know how can I see this place and the people from here told me to wait until twelve a clock.
– Don’t worry boy! It isn’t necessary to wait three hours. We’ll walk together and Michael will help you. He’s a nice fellow.
After we pass through three houses we arrived at a yellow, small, rustic house with a big garden. I assumed that was Michael’s house. The old man open the gate and entered in the garden. Right at that moment a dog started barking. I’m not afraid of dogs, but that beast wasn’t a dog but a Cerberus.
– Aaa, son I think you might want to wait outside. The dog wants to play and you don’t want to know how.
– I’m agreeing with your father. I will gladly wait outside. It’s not a problem for me. And than we laughed.
When I closed the gate I heard someone yeeling ‚Michael’. It was obvious, the old man appealed at the first channel of communication, yelling. After eight-nine minutes of waiting our man came out.
– Hi. You must be the curious kid who wants to visit the church.
– Yes. I hope I didn’t disturbe you. I just want to see the church.
– Don’t worry my child. Anyway I had some business in the garden. So it’s my pleasure to help you.
– Michael, take care my friend. See you later!
– Yeah man. Have a good day. Servus!
– Ciao boy. Have a good trip and enjoy your moments here.
– I will sir. Thank you again for your help.
– It was a pleasure, child. Said the old man who helped me.
After that I saw that my guide, mister Michael, had a whatever behavior. But he was so positive and friendly with me. He just did not have the same energy as mine. But I excepted this problem since he was the best guide in Burzenland.
– Is this the first fortified church that you’re visiting?
– No, I was in Prejmer and Codlea.
– Ooo, I see. So you know something about this type of churches.
– I read something about it. But about Ghimbav I know nothing. Is it something special about this place?
– Yes. But the special thing it’s kind of sad. Today, this place has just thirtieth people who came here to pray.
– Just thirtieth! Am I hearing this right?
– Yes. Unfortunately after the communism was established in Romania many of the german from this area left Romania for East Germany.
– Wow, more than one thousand people left the town!
– It’s like today. Many romanians left Ghimbav for any western european country.
– That’s true. You’re right sir. I said these words with sadness.
– I’m old, but for a good reason. I lived my life with wisdom.
– Sir, I’m curious. Everybody here talks to you with Michael, not Mihai. Why? Are you not romanian?
– No. I’m Magyar. I’m the only magyar guardian of a german church in this land.
– Ooo! That is a nice fact. Nice to meet you sir.
– My pleasure kid. By the way, I didn’t know your name boy.
The experience in the church was like the floating experience. With another church seen I wasn’t so scared anymore. I got used with the feeling. And mister Michael was a true man with an unique character.
If you liked the story don’t hesitate to share with you’re friends or family. Support the project, if you think that it deserves. And I invite you to read the next story from Sânpetru and Hărman or to see the pictures from Transylvania. Take care, my friends!