In my last experience in the world of fortified churches I experienced three funny moments. This time I tried to visit in just one day two towns. I do that because both of the towns are very close. Between ten kilometers. First stop was in Sânpetru village. I didn’t arrive in town to give up so easy, so I had to waste some time somewhere. But because the place was to small I was looking for anything to do. And when I’m saying anything I mean it. I know, the best option was to go to a hotel bar or a pub. I walked through the village for some time, but I didn’t find anything. It was a little bit frustrating. I’m a jerk if I will say that I was sad, but at that time I just wanted to drink a cup of hot tea with fruits.
After half an hour of walking I said to myself I must ask someone to help me. I entered in a pharmacy and I found two women. At the desk the pharmacist had an odd face. I don’t know why I insist to ask her. Probably because of the clothes. That medical coat made me think I must trust her. She knows things. But after she opened her mouth I realized I’m talking to no one. Thank God that the other lady in the room was more open-minded than the pharmacist.
– Good morning! Excuse me it’s there any place here where I can drink a glass of wine or a cup of tea?
– Good morning! Aaa, It’s a small wine seller here, but there you can only buy wine, not drink it.
– Noo, ma’am. Sorry, but I have to wait a couple of hours until I can actually visit something and I really want to waste time and drink something. I was very dissapointed, I thought that the transylvanians are exceptional romanians, but no one is perfect.
– No, no. He wants to drink at the bar, the other woman said to the pharmacist. Boy if you follow the main road after five hundred meters you will find a place called Bielmann. There is the nicest hotel in town. But I know there it is more like a restaurant rather than a bar. But if you want to waste time here, that’s your place.
At the first time I avoided her, but than I realized I was a fool. That middle aged women sent me at the best hotel I’ve ever seen. Already from the entrance I was surprised and amazed. The reception was at the bar. The bartender had to do two jobs. But here, in this small place this wasn’t a hard job. But by contrary it was a pleasure for him, because tourists come rarely and when they came they would have patience.
– Good morning, he welcomed me having a impecable white shirt.
– Hi! Can I drink here a cup of tea?
– Yes, of course! It will be our pleasure. I was like a small kid at his birthday. I love very much when I’m in a elegant place and I’m treated exactly like I would treat others.
– Thanks mate! Then I want a fruit tea if you have.
– Sure, and after that he went to the espressor and started the hot water. I saw your backpack. You are a traveler I think.
– Yes. Guilty, and after that we laugh. Can you tell me something.
– Of course. What?
– Are there many tourist coming here or is it an underrated place?
– Ooo, I see what you want to know. We have some waves of tourists. But it’s not like in Prejmer or Viscri.
– Understood. My name is Adrian by the way.
– Claudiu. Nice to meet you. And then we had a relaxed conversation. I saw he realised that he can talk with my like a friend, not like a stranger. What brings you here? He asked me.
– I had a plan to visit five fortified churches around Brașov. I was at Prejmer, Codlea, Ghimbav and today I hope I can finish visiting Sânpetru and Hărman.
– Nice. Really nice. Friend can I tell you an advise?
– Stay more time alone in the churches and fell the vibe of the walls. Few tourists do that today and they don’t realise what places they visit.
– I will do it, my friend. I’m a traveller , not a tourist. I fell what you want to say. I have the same opinion.
After this good advise Claudiu and I continued to talk more about the bar and restaurant. I was curious to hear the story of this place. He told me that the hotel was build after 90’s by a german dude. And since then the town in summer has many german tourists who come to see the birthplace of their parents or grandparents. It’s like a tradition today for many to came back every year.
This kind of stories you hear just from locals. That’s why I like to talk with locals. After two hours and a half I said goodbye to Claudiu and I went back on the road.
The second funny moment I had was at a place near the church that I wanted to visit. I was there with my tripod and tried to take a good picture of the church when a gypsy dude came at me and curiously asked me if I do cadastres even for houses. In his lack of knowledge he didn’t realize I’m photographing the church. He associate the tripod with a topographer. I don’t blame him. I answered to him kindly that I’m a photographer and I’m not his solution for his problem.
Than he was a little bit ashamed and he apologized for the mistake. It was a bit funny how happy he was when he saw me. He thought he found God…